Sunday, February 22, 2009

Credit card debt: $0; Associated feeling: priceless

Many of you know I racked up a shit-ton of credit card debt during my free-wheeling days in the Bay Area.

I was really in denial about it and as the years went on I was literally living paycheck-by-paycheck, paying minimums and hoping I wouldn't get laid off. The turning point for me was when I figured out that unless I got the debt under control I wouldn't be able to go to law school.

It was then that I had an opportunity to work remotely for a year and move back in with my parents. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and while I never thought I would live with them again it turned out to be an amazing opportunity. During the year I lived at home I paid off about 90% of my debt. The remaining 10% left when school started was manageable - I could pay more than the monthly minimum and then make some large payments during the summer months when I was working.

Happy for me, I got a huge tax refund this year. I'll be able to pay off the last bit of remaining credit card debt and still save a chunk for the future.

I mention all of this to say that it's possible to get debt-free. People file for bankruptcy with less debt than I was carrying - I wanted to avoid that route and I was able to, thank SBJ!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! If ever there was a time to have no debt, now is it.
Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! If ever there was a time to have no debt, now is it.
Good for you!

Bexy said...

Thanks Kelly! Yeah, it's awesome.

I should clarify though: I now have a shit-ton of law school loan debt! ha ha... at least it's through the federal government and has a (relatively) lower interest rate!

dakotasmommy said...

yahooo for you that is so awesome!!!!

Dexter said...

Congratulations! And I love that you tagged food, coffee, movies, etc., I assume because those wonderful things contributed to your mountain of debt.

Good for you! You must be "over the moon" about it! Ha!

Bexy said...

Yes! ha ha... I had a lot of good times thanks to Visa and Mastercard! I don't regret the fun times at all!

kreichs said...

Congratulations, Bexy! It must feel so satisfying to not have to pay a usurious interest rate to the evil credit card companies.

Sure, you've got student loan debts now, but as you say, those debts are at a lower interest rate.

You should be proud!