Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mmmm... Mexican food

I'm not sure if it's because of my impending move to the East Coast, but lately I've been partaking in as much Mexican food as possible. I love Mexican food; it is the ultimate comfort food - the spices, the warmth, and the tequila or Mexican beer to go with it... even in hot weather it is so delicious.

Last night I had the most amazing meal at La Super Rica Taqueria in Santa Barbara. The building looks almost like a shack with a covered patio in the back, so you might dismiss the place if you didn't know better.



La Super Rica only serves tacos and tamales, and both are amazing. The tortillas for the tacos are made on site and are grilled right before they are served. There are about 20 different types of tacos, and you can order lots of different kinds (each small plate comes with two corn tortillas and enough meat, cheese, or veggie goodness to fill each tortilla).

The first taco we tried was a sauteed mushroom taco - which probably sounds weird but if you like sauteed mushrooms you would die for this taco. The mushrooms were sauteed in butter and cream (so you know, totally healthy), and it was probably the most delicious thing I've tasted in years.

We also tried a chorizo and queso taco. The chorizo was cut into bite-size pieces and grilled, then served with cheese over it (which melted from the heat of the chorizo). This was served in a bowl so that you could scoop up the buttery sauce the chorizo and cheese were sitting in... I don't know what was in that sauce, but it had to be butter, and some of the oil/juices from the chorizo, and some of the cheese. It was soooo yummy.

We arrived right at the dinner rush and during our time there (about 2 hours) there was a constant line out the door as people waited to order and enjoy the food. It was such a great experience and I'm so glad I had the chance to check it out!

1 comment:

Clementina said...

La super Rica was Julia Child's favorite taco joint, so I think that you are in very good company. Having eaten there myself, it is great place . . . but scratch the surface of any Mexican grandma, and you will find food that is just as good, if not better. I'm sure Julia would have agreed.
www.tazadechocolate.blogspot.com