Friday, March 30, 2007

Happy Hour Friday

In honor of my recent trip to Hawaii, I figured I'd share a recipe for a 'poor man's mai tai'. While the real deal is delish, it can be a lot of work to put it together.

Here's a quick and yummy drink to refresh you on a hot day!

Poor Man's Mai Tai:

Fill a tall glass with ice.
Fill the glass 1/4 to 1/3 of the way with dark rum (depending on how strong you want it!).
Squeeze half a lime over the rum.
Fill the glass to the top with guava juice (orange juice is good, too).
Stir your elixir, garnish with a fresh pineapple slice if you have it.

Of course, if you are in the vicinity of Forbidden Lounge in Alameda, you can always stop by and have someone make one for you!

XO

2 comments:

Amber said...

Happy hour started at 10am today, with Bailey's and Godiva white chocolate liquor in my coffee at work. Don't judge.

How is it that I didn't remember that Mai Tai's are made with Rum? I suppose I couldn't ever tell you what they were made of, only that they probably had some pineapple juice in them (what? No? Oh.) and that Jelly Belly Mai Tai flavor used to be my very favorite, followed by bubble gum. And that my grandma drank 'em a lot in the 50's (I think it was Mai Tais).

But speaking of excellent drinks, a crazy bartender at this swanky and a bit snooty new establishment http://www.tonystarlight.com/ (which is literally next door to my office, to which I generally wear birkenstocks and sweatshirts, and if you'll note the dress code on the website, you can surely picture the look on old Tone's face to see me walk in the door after work, but whatever) made a lemondrop for me with vanilla vodka and I know it sounds too sweet or icky or whatever, but I swear it was the most amazing thing I've ever sucked down in three minutes since the Pear Basil IMA martini at this establishment: http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8463288

Now before you chastise me for turning your comments section into an advert for drinking in PDX, let me just say this: COME VISIT US SOON!!!!

Bexy said...

Oh my god... I must plan a trip immediately and the first stop has to be Tony Starlight's! This is genius:

At Tony Starlight’s we are much more amenable to casual sex than casual Friday. Although Tony’s has no official dress code, don’t embarrass yourself. It should be noted there will be a $3 surcharge for men in open-toed shoes and a $1 fee for each item of Patagonia on your person. This is not true but it should be.

Is there a surcharge for men with long hair? Definitely over 4th of July, if not sooner, we will have to saddle up to the baby grand and get plastered! Sweet!