Saturday, May 3, 2008

Should I cancel my home phone?

Honestly I don't know why I have it. I think because it's essentially free when packaged with my internet and cable service through Cox.

But I recently changed my telephone number because the lovely couple who had it before seem to be in hiding from debt collectors. The Marbles (yes, that's their name) must be up to their ears in arrears. The latest round of calls (which prompted me to change the number) involved live people (often it's just a computer) that are looking for them, and then (pleasantly) ask me if I have any unsecured debt I want to get rid of? Umm, no, fuck you very much. Bye!

So, I changed my number. Then, the calls started for Brandon; Alltel's friendly computer was telling me that he needed to pay his wireless bill. I was able to google my new number and find the guy's name and address. Based on this I was able to access his account information. He owes over $300.

It's nice when mofos don't pay their bills and then when the creditors start calling they simply change their number. Is the idea that if the debt collectors stop calling, the debt goes away? Is that analogous to if a tree falls over in the forest with no one around, it might not make a sound? Sonofabitch.

No comments: