Sunday, August 31, 2008

Scary

The Republican contenders were interviewed by People Magazine (I love those hard-hitting journalists over at People) and here's a quote we can all relish and feel good about:
Sen. McCain, of all the candidates you considered, what drew you to her?

JOHN: Obviously, I found her to be very intelligent and very well-versed on the issues. But I think the important thing was that she's a reformer. She's taken on special interests since she ran for the PTA and the city council and mayor. The courage, I guess, is what most impressed me.

As others have pointed out.... she's taken on "special interests" at PTA meetings? At best this means she fought for creationism to be taught as "one theory" alongside the "theory" of evolution? Maybe scientists, or the scientific-minded were "special interests"?

Or, was it a fight to keep contraceptives out of high schools? And so the "special interests" may have been Planned Parenthood or some pro-women, pro-reproductive rights organization?

When I argued with Volkswagen to fix my car on their dime when the engine head melted, was I taking on a "special interest"? Holy crap, could I be VP too?

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'd vote for you, baby! You little special interest fighter, you!

Bexy said...

ha ha... hilarious!