Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Boundary Issues"

My friend Michele, who I met through my sister (my sister has a Jesus-like tendency to attract cool people into her life), is a cool, funny, and successful author of both fiction and nonfiction books and essays, inspired by and based on her experiences growing up as a Latina surfer/punk rock girl in Southern California.

The Washington Post recently published one of her essays, Boundary Issues, about her recent experience with a therapist who crossed the line.

The essay reminded me of my own experience with a therapist, who really helped me with several issues until the day I had to "break up" with her and things turned nasty...

Therapy is a weird thing and Michele touches on some of those weirdnesses: having to pay someone to let you divulge painful moments and secret fears; how they might be spending your hard-earned cash; and, what kind of relationship are they forming with you when it's supposed to be a professional relationship...

Michele's experience really devolved into the surreal (don't want to give away the gems) and her essay is a great read, especially for those of you who have ever gone through therapy!

No comments: