Sunday, September 28, 2008

Why Palin gets under my skin

McCain could have asked several experienced women to be his running mate; women who share his conservative values but who have more experience, brains, and ability to string a coherent sentence together.

Nominating Palin is a slap in the face to all women - McCain's insistence that she is ready to be President is insulting. Who believes that?

By picking a woman who is essentially George Bush in drag (including lipstick!), he either hopes to hook up with her (Cindy is looking old) or he thinks "any woman will do."

I assume they will lose, but even so: by picking someone so awful, he potentially sends a message suggesting that women, generally, don't have the skills and experience to adequately do the job, which is far from true.

3 comments:

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

My feelings exactly!

dakotasmommy said...

yeah well said rebecca.

Bexy said...

I want a great leader as President, and I believe both women and men can fill that role... that's why the first women in the role should be a great leader first, not just a token.

I'd still vote against a female candidate I disagreed with, but at least I would feel like it was a legitimate choice I'd have to make.