Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Checking in with the DB

Periodically, especially on weekday afternoons, I peruse the Internet Movie Database to see what my favorite directors or actors are up to. Thought I would share my notes with you!

Wes Anderson is in post-production with his new film, The Darjeeling Limited. The film stars Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, and Natalie Portman (among others) and was co-written by Anderson, Roman Coppola (Sofia's brother) and Jason Schwartzman. Plot summary posted on IMDB:
The brothers believe their father has been reborn as an albino leopard, and trace their mother to a convent where she teaches poor children. The train they travel by is The Darjeeling Limited, and they are on a search for their father/Leopard.

Speaking of the Coppolas...
Francis Ford Coppola just completed his first film in 7 years. Youth on Youth is a mystery set in Europe during WWII starring Tim Roth. Coppola is also in pre-production for his next directorial effort, Tetro. Papa says that he had given up directing, but his daughter Sofia inspired him to pick up the camera again.

Sofia Coppola doesn't have any current projects slated, but is featured in a new, yet-to-release documentary about bay area filmmakers called Fog City Mavericks.

Steven Soderbergh is in pre-production on a pair of films about Che Guevara, both starring Benecio del Toro as Che. Franka Potente is in both films too! I love Steven Soderbergh for the chances he takes (Bubble, The Good German), for the glossiness (Ocean's Eleven), and for simply being a great director (Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich, Traffic). I'm curious to see what he does with the story of Che Guevara...

Kevin Smith is working on a new horror(?) script for a project called Red State. Sam Mendes is working on a Rufus Wainwright documentary. Alan Ball (creator of Six Feet Under) is working on another TV series for HBO called True Blood. Kiefer Sutherland is in talks to star in film version of 24. That's fine, let's just hope it doesn't suck as much as season 6!

Joaquin Watch: He stars with Mark Ruffalo and others in Reservation Road - filming completed in late January and the movie should release later this year.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Not sure where to post this comment, but the Deeb seemed appropriate since I keep checking in with them on the same subject (who is that actor?!): I am loving Battlestar Gallactica, Bex. LOVING. IT. I forgot to tell you this in our marathon chat, but I am fully addicted (so is Josh) and wanted to thank you for the recommendation! It's like a (well-written) soap opera in space, and the subtext and issues surrounding the subject matter/plot is not at all shallow or simply sci-fi. So good.

In other Deeb comments, I was saddened to learn today that Brad Pitt's company is going to go ahead with The Time Traveler's Wife (a really terrific book) but with Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams in the leads. Sigh. I'm okay with both of them in general (I guess, except Bana seems super boring, and McAdams seems waaaay too Dimples McPoutylips for me to be super positive about) but The Hulk and The Wedding Crashers girl would not exactly be top of my list for this fabulous story. Hollywood is stupid. Even Brad and the former Mrs. Pitt would have been a better choice, I think. They obviously forgot to check with me when finalizing casting for this one. Idiots.

Siiiiiiigh...