Friday, April 27, 2007

Happy Hour Friday (5)

So, usually I'm thinking the whole week about what cocktail I can come up with to share with y'all. I have to say, nothing came to mind this week (maybe I'm still reeling from all that Jungle Juice talk?). Nevertheless, I'm committed to this series of posts and I won't let you down!

Speaking of down... I was listening to downtempo music today, which is like modern-day lounge music. A better description would be "light jazz meets electronica"? That sounds awful, but trust me, this music is awesome. Perfect for a dinner party or small soiree, where you want some groovy, instrumental beats in the background (check out Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, The Gotan Project, some of Amon Tobin's stuff).

So, I was wondering: what kind of drink would go well in your downtempo-inspired setting? Something easy, something mellow for sure. Wine is always a legit selection, especially red wine, with its comfort appeal.

But what if you want to kick things off with something different? I highly recommend serving an apéritif before dinner. I especially like Lillet Blanc, which you can find at BevMo or the like. This is not sweet, dessert-like wine. It's more floral than anything else and has a very smooth taste. Serve it chilled, and a little bit goes a long way (if you don't have port glasses, you could always use champagne flutes. And if you don't have champagne flutes, frankly you can use anything. I would drink this stuff out of a coffee mug if I had to!)

I used it when I made this cocktail for Mullin's bachelorette soiree a couple years ago! Very delish, and perfect for a warm evening. Cheers!

No comments: