Thursday, April 26, 2007

Then We Came to the End

I recently listened to Fresh Air podcast with Bill Moyers, and at the tail end of the show was a brief intereview with Joshua Ferris. Ferris recently wrote his first novel, Then We Came to the End, about office life at the decline of the tech boom. I haven't read this yet, but plan to. The excerpt is pretty funny... here's a snippet:
We had visceral, rich memories of dull, interminable hours. Then a day would pass in perfect harmony with our projects, our family members, and our coworkers, and we couldn't believe we were getting paid for this. We decided to celebrate with wine at dinner. Some of us liked one restaurant in particular while others spread out across the city, sampling and reviewing.We were foxes and hedgehogs that way. It was vitally important to Karen Woo that she be the first to know of a new restaurant. If someone mentioned a new restaurant Karen didn't know about, you could bet your bottom dollar that Karen would be there that very night, sampling and reviewing, and when she came in the next morning, she told us (those of us who didn't know about the other person's knowing about the new restaurant) about the new restaurant she'd just been to, how great it was, and how we all had to go there. Those of us who followed Karen's suggestion gave the same advice to those of us who hadn't heard Karen's suggestion, and soon we were all running into one another at the new restaurant. By then Karen wouldn't be caught dead there.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Yes, but did they try to take the martini glasses home with them at the end of the night?

Thank you so much for posting this - I was in the car and heard the last bit of the book portion, but then was out of the car and lost all memory of the fact that I was totally going to go in and look it up. So helpful!

Now because I don't know where else to put this, I am just going to put it here, cause I'm too lazy to send an email. Please read this when you have a chance. I was dying. And dreading having a teenager. (Though I think it will be easier if I am not a church of LDS member, so I may have to change that lifelong plan after all, no offense to LDSers out there in the audience). I hope you are as amused as I was: http://preggersinlalaland.blogspot.com/2007/04/dear-cultist.html
(make sure to click on the 'here' when she says 'start here'). People are f'in crazy, Bex. Crazy.

Bexy said...

OMG, how cool are the peeps at Cultist for keeping it on the DL that the daughter switched the shirt! Nice. And as amusing as those End Times freaks can be, they totally scare me.