Monday, June 4, 2007

I found a place!

Wow!

I just met with an agent from Premier Locations, an apartment locating and realty company. Their services are free to renters, and apartment complexes pay to list with them, and they help find and screen prospective tenants.

Anyhoo, given my price range and requirements I was a little worried about finding a place somewhat close to school. I didn't need to be super close, since I don't want to live next to partying undergrads. But I decided yesterday that I didn't want to have to drive on a freeway to get to school every day.

Sooo... through this service I checked out Midtown On Main, a somewhat-new apartment complex about 3 miles from campus on the in Mesa near the Tempe border. The complex is located on the street where the light rail will run!! Once it's in service (late 2008) I can literally walk out of the complex and hop on the train to get to school.

They are holding an apartment for me to move in on August 1, and with the 9-month lease my first month is free! I don't have to pay rent early in order to hold the place... things are much different here than CA!

It's a large one-bedroom with a patio. The best part: it has a washer and dryer in the unit! Sweet jesus I'm excited about that!

It's a large apartment community (473 units) but it's laid-out nicely so it doesn't seem so large. There are four pools, several jacuzzis, and I'll have assigned, covered parking. There's a gym, volleyball court, basketball court, picnic and bbq areas, 24-hour security, and extra storage right outside the unit. They fully clean and re-paint each unit after a tenant leaves, and if the carpet is stained they will replace the carpet. I guess this is standard for these types of complexes, and possibly required by the city, but it blew me away. Some of you know the shitholes I lived in when I was in the Bay Area.

It's definitely a grown-up place for me and my standards, and it will be great to live there. I can't wait for you to come visit me and Franky!

3 comments:

Amber said...

You had me at "washer dryer in the unit". And then I died at the rest. Four pools? Jacuzzis? Holy god, you are going to Law School at Club Med! I can't believe you won't have to walk a laundry basket to a communal basement or other dank and unsanitary room to wash your unmentionables with strangers using scrounged money you've had to scour under car seats and couch cushions to come up with exact change necessary, etc etc. The only thing better would be some sort of Ewen or Rufus or I don't know who, dressed in a man-sarong, to bring you a cocktail while he lovingly folds the aforementioned unmentionables. (Actually, that's weird, boys folding chones is no bueno - towels, he's folding your towels. And sheets.)

Congratulations, Bex. I'm so stoked for you! You must be so relived to have found a nice place, that you don't have to think about that part anymore. Definitely don't wanna live in potential Cops episode (Sammy kills me), especially since that was how you spent most of your 20's in the Bay Area.

So I died again when I looked at the photos on the complex website. The glittering pool, the trees - glorious! Can't wait to visit! And with 473 units, well that's a whole lotta Melrose Place potential for fun and mayhem. In your off-time. When you're not studying. Like on 3-day weekends and stuff. Or during happy hour. You know, whatever.

Hey, I just noticed that they have a children's play area too... Can you request where your unit is located? Having lived in family complexes before, please let me suggest that you request an area not super close to these. Just a thought...

See you later this week. You'll have to meet me for a celebratory latte at Peet's. Super super congrats on your total success with apartment hunting.

Amber said...

Ps- Could that "comment" be any longer? Doubt it. I'm a comment hog. Sorry. Maybe I'll start, like, sending you emails and stuff.

Bexy said...

OK, so YOU had me at "Ewen or Rufus or I don't know who, dressed in a man-sarong, to bring you a cocktail..." - DYING!

Yeah. This place is definitely law school at Club Med! haha!! Thanks for the reco about family proximity... they take being quiet very serious so I'm hopeful it will be OK.

I can't wait for you to visit! This place is going to be great. And the washer/dryer. I swear, I've been daydreaming about the day when I would have a washer and dryer in my own home... and it's finally here!!