Friday, August 31, 2007

Yummy Summery Salad

So, it's been 112 or thereabouts this entire week - holy hell. The heat, combined with the likes of reading 150-year-old cases about jurisdiction, left me pretty tired by the time Friday rolled around.

My friend Angela came over the other night for dinner, which was great! We talked about school for maybe 5 minutes, before chatting about more important stuff: our cats, men trouble, local politics (I'm needing to learn who runs my new home state, after all). It was great and gave me a much-needed break.

Soooo, in planning dinner I wanted to fix something yummy that had a lot of vitamin C (apparently there's some weird flu going around the law school), and I came up with this salad that turned out really good! I think you might like it too:

This makes enough for two people, having seconds:

You need:
A head (?) of romaine lettuce (or is it called a "bunch"?)
1 cup of walnuts
1/4 of a red onion, diced very small
one grapefruit, that you cut into wedges (slice off the rind instead of peeling, then slice between the sections so that you get the soft, seedless sections of the grapefruit - hope I'm making sense...)
Raspberry vinegar
About 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper.

First, in the large bowl you will serve your salad in, pour about 2-3 tablespoons of both the vinegar and olive oil, add some salt and pepper, whisk them together and then add more salt and pepper if needed.

Add diced red onion to this.
Add the romaine lettuce, which you've chopped into bite-size pieces (personally, I hate big pieces of lettuce in a salad!)
Add the grapefruit wedges.
Add the feta cheese.
Toast the walnuts in a dry saute pan, long enough for them to get toasty. Be sure to watch over them because they can burn quickly. Once done, add the walnuts to the salad.

Toss everything together and serve. I really liked this - I hope you do too!

No comments: