Thursday, September 27, 2007

"This will blow your effing mind."

That's the little gem my crazy professor said yesterday, which was in reference to "choice of law" provisions in state laws.

My professor explained "choice of law" provisions thusly: let's say you get in a car accident in AZ but want to sue the person in CA. The laws in CA might allow you to sue someone for an accident that occurred out of state, but under the condition that the Arizona laws that apply to car accidents are those that are used in the suit, since that's where the accident occurred. This could be a good thing if you are the defendant and you know AZ law will be better for you. (BTW, I have no idea if this is how it works in CA - I'm just making it up to explain it.)

So, mind blown? I totally love his enthusiasm but sometimes I wonder, wtf? And, I'm relishing the day when he drops the F-bomb for real! It's bound to happen at some point!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww lawyer humor, the funniest kind. Not. The worst part is that 10 years from now you'll end up making some dorky lawyer joke too.

Bexy said...

Ha ha ha... so true. I'm well on my way - I've had at least two conversations that are revealing my geekiness (and so it's a quick downhill trajectory to bad lawyer jokes):
1) Whether consideration exists in an end user license agreement (fascinating), and
2) When you dine-in in a restaurant, you've formed a unilateral contract with that restaurant (like the server gives a shit).

I can tell you what consideration is, but I can't remember what day of the week it is. Lovely.

Mark Watson said...

Bait him.

Bexy said...

If I do, you'll be the first to know! ha ha