Saturday, October 13, 2007

It's been a week.

I got into a heated discussion (read: argument) with a fellow 1L yesterday. Oopsie, there went my plan for staying under the radar!

My approach to law school has been to stay focused, limit who I talked to so that I could be sure to maintain a positive mindset, and overall try to enjoy this crazy experience.

Living in a red state for the first time, I did not want to be dismissed as the liberal nutjob by my more conservative peers. But, a girl has limits, and in the immortal words of Patrick Swayze, "nobody puts baby in a corner."

So, here's what happened:

I'm in the hallway outside my professor's office, waiting for the professor to end her student meeting so that I can pick something up from her.

Then, a friend walks up and we start chatting. This friend is native american, and the conversation turns to whether she might want to practice indian law, and some of the lobbying work she did prior to school to help a case against an organization they believe was funding racist groups.

While this is going on, another student walks up and waits (he was also waiting for the professor). He doesn't say anything, but just listens to what we're talking about. I've never talked to this person before but he is in a few of my classes.

Then my friend needs to leave, and as soon as she is out of earshot, the exchange with him begins:

Him: It's always interesting when they want their rights considered, but they never consider the other side.
[His tone suggested that as a fellow white person, I would understand his statement.]
Me: I don't know what you mean.
Him: They always put things in their perspective and expect their side to be heard, but they are not willing to consider whites' rights.
Me (thinking, "oh jesus, here we go."): I don't think she was saying that at all (then I went through the things we were talking about - most of which he had missed because he wasn't even there - including problems relating to prosecuting crimes committed by non-indians on tribal lands, and the litigation thing she worked on).
Him: [The organization mentioned above] is not racist.
[At this point, another student was present and thankfully he was interjecting.]
Other Student: But most nationalist groups are.
Him: That's true, and I'm not saying I support [that organization]. But they just generalize and try to say that all white people are racist.
Me: She wasn't saying that at all. I mean, I'm white, so if she was trying to say that all white people are racist why would she say that to me?
Other Student: Right.
Him: Do you have kids, or do you want kids?
Me (thinking this was a weird tangent): I don't have kids, and I don't know if I will.
Him: Well, when you have a son, and he's white, and he can't get in to the school he wants, you'll understand (he ended this with a slight wink, giving off the impression that I was naive, and once I popped out a kid and had some epiphany I would wisen up and understand his perspective.)
Me (heat rising up the back of my neck): I'm 32 years old. I know what my beliefs are. There have been barriers in my life and I worked around them.
[At this point he rolls his eyes which I interpret to mean that I had breaks because I'm a woman.]
Me: You think that I got in to law school because I'm a woman? (I know I was making a leap here, but if there was a chance this was his point I had to say something.) The majority of our class is men!

At this point my professor opened the door, and I ended the convo with the student and picked up what I needed from the professor. He then went in to meet with her and I continued talking to the Other Student outside her office before heading off the library to badmouth him to some people.

I was really worked up from this exchange with him. I was offended that because I was white, he assumed I would join in on a racist exchage (this has happened to me before and it's sick) - and that he said it after my friend was out of earshot. Then, even though he's probably 10 years younger than me, he has the effing gaul to tell me that because I don't have children I really don't understand how the world works. Then (if I interpreted him correctly) my presence at the law school means I stole a spot from another white male who was more deserving.

I just kept thinking: who the f*** does he think he is?

The majority of our class is men (60%) when the national average for law schools is 50:50 or 51% women. Further, the majority of men in my class are white. So I'm sorry, how are they at a disadvantage? Because it's not 100% male and white? Umm, maybe my ovaries were not the deciding factor when it came to admitting me. Perhaps I'm just smarter or more accomplished than other white, male candidates. What a frickin' concept.

But, I had a good chat about it with some friends and I feel better about the whole thing now. In fact (and this is switching gears), I'm hoping you can meet some of my friends if you ever come visit! There's one friend I've nicknamed "Resident Polish Sexpot" (she's polish, married but hot for all the young guys - and she's 34). She gave herself the nickname "Mormon Schicksa" because all the young mormon boys are nice to her. She was a sympathetic ear yesterday. I think we talked for three hours in the library about the people at school we are currently hating. It was a lovely way to work out the anger!

PS: Happy Birthday Chris Carter, a fellow 13'er.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Holy. Sh*t. I can immediately picture the look on your face and your body language as he uttered the first sentence, and I can see your posture change (chin tucked in, eyes narrow and piercing, jaw set and eventually your arms fold and you shift your stance to one hip, all possible kinetic energy storing up in one leg with the potential to deliver a fierce swift kick in the shin if needed - not that you would kick, because you are, above all, a classy broad, but the gathered momentum is there just in case) as the flood of idiocy continued. Oh, man, Bex. And he will be your peer in an industry full of such stellar, shining examples of humanity. Excellent. I know I'm just a liberal floozie from out-of-touchville California, but it is SO hard for me to believe that people are still able to think like this without reservation. I shouldn't be shocked, because it is the majority of the country, it often seems, but I just don't come into regular contact with them, I guess. Oy. I'm really glad you spoke up and didn't let Daddy/Dr. Housman/"The Man" keep you from interpretive dancing your thoughts about justice (or racism/sexism/classism, take your pick) to the tune of "Time of your life". You've survived through the first term break - it's time to scrap the under the radar plan for sure. (Btw, I started reading this aloud to Joosh, and after the first sentence, he started laughing and said something to the effect of "Someone said that to Rebecca? Really? Oopsie..."). Hang in there, Bex. Deep breaths.

Bexy said...

Thanks doll. Yeah, I had to resist the urge to give him a swift kick (in the nuts, actually) or try and claw his eyes out.

A friend made a good point, and I should have put this in the post - maybe this guy was having a shitty day. We got our papers back and he was waiting outside the professor's office to possibly talk to her about it (our professor's a woman - wonder what he thinks of that?). Maybe he was not in the best frame of mind, and needed to try and knock down some other people (my friend, me).

Not that his behavior is excusable but it helps wrap some context around it. Or, maybe, he's enjoyed living in a place where he can so shamelessly and casually insult people of color or women and most people agree with him.

It's possible he's mormon, but I don't know. If that's the case, this is quite the mormon bubble, similar to the liberal bubble of the bay area.

I'm glad I didn't back down from what he was saying - even though my approach has been to avoid these kinds of interactions because 1) we will never agree with each other, so what's the point and 2) I want to keep my head "in the game" and don't want to get thrown off by some idiot.

But there are just some things that are so wrong that you can't back down. It started with his mischaracterization of what my friend said, to then all sorts of backpedaling and ridiculous logic to try to be "right" in the argument (when you have kids, you'll understand - *wink*).

By the way, I think it's ironic that these type of people assume that affirmative action is the reason women or people of color are in our law school class, and that they assume further that these people don't deserve to be there, that someone with better scores (higher GPA or LSAT) was denied and they were let in. (I suppose there's no room in their brain for the idea that a woman or person of color may have had a better GPA or LSAT than them?)

Let's say that it's true that all of the women and people of color that were accepted took a spot from a more deserving white male (ridiculous, but let's assume it for a sec). This may lead them to also assume that the women and people of color are not as smart or aren't as good of students as their white, male counterparts.

If this is all true, then this works to the ADVANTAGE of the white males in the class! How do they not get this?

We are graded on a curve, so if all the ladies and people of color are dumbasses, we will be at the low end of the curve, making it easier for the white males to be at the top of the class!

(Our exams and papers are all submitted anonymously so the professors don't know which tests/papers belong to whom, so they couldn't claim that we got a better grade on a paper or the exam because our professor likes tits or whatever.)

Anyway, I could go on forever... I'll have to see what happens on Monday when he and I are back in class together. Hmm.

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Just wanted you to know that Amber told me about this whole thing and I couldn't believe it, and now that I've read it I still can't believe it! What the hell? I really can not believe people sometimes, it's like he's been living in a hole the last 50 years or something. And believe me that once you have a kid - that won't change your perspective - unless for some reason after you have a kid you become an f'ing racist dumbass - which I don't think has happened to me and I have a white son - imagine that!
I am so fired up over this - I'm so glad you were there to stand up for yourself and all other women and non idiots! I would have totally lost it and said something really inappropriate - guess that's why I'm not going to law school, can you imagine me in a court of law - oh my god - it would be hysterical but a hormonal rage every few minutes - look out!!!
Anyhow, I do have to say that my favorite part about this posting is your reference to Dirty Dancing - LOVE IT!!!!!

Bexy said...

Thanks honey!

You know what's funny, I realize now that I was totally PMS'ing when this argument went down, which is kind of hysterial given the whole sexist aspect of the argument.

But yes, I know what you mean about losing it: I definitely felt "irrational" in my emotional response, but I couldn't help it - when he wanted to attack my friend, then began to attack me, it was on. I'm glad I reacted so strongly even if I got emotional about it.

Oh and the patrick swayze reference... so funny. Let me tell you where it came from: 1) I was reminded of the quote by the show Veronica Mars (which you must check out - I got Amber hooked on it too), and 2) you know that Resident Polish Sexpot girl I mentioned in the post? She's been obsessing on a young boy in our class (he's probably 23) who she started to call, and now we all call, "Patrick Swayze" because she thinks he looks like him. We just discovered that "Patrick Swayze" rides a motorcycle to school. When I told R.P.S. this she said "I think I just had an orgasm."

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Oh My God I love R.P.S.!!!