Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pepperdine law library

Sooo, I went down to Malibu yesterday to do some research at Pepperdine's law library.

First off, it's beautiful in Malibu and the campus is lovely - it's on a bluff overlooking the ocean. How people study in such an environment is baffling to me.

The parking was free, which was a nice perk. The law library was kind of empty, I thought, given that it was a mid-week afternoon. I noticed that a lot of books were strewn across a lot of different tables. I don't know if they are short on staff to re-shelve them? I thought that was weird, and would suck if you were a student and needed to find those books!

And, not to be bitchy but: the library was so effing depressing! It was a brown palace (brown paneling, brown tables, brown booksheves, brown chairs) and had very few windows. I now really appreciate the law library at ASU!

Luckily I was looking for things that no one else needed, although as I roamed the stacks of old ALRs I did come across some roaming 1Ls who were working on a research assignment out of the Sloan Research Workbook, which is just this little paperback volume that gives you mini-research projects to help you navigate through the library.

I don't know if all the students were like the ones I saw, but I noticed some serious slack-a-liciousness. I mean, I know that if you are not a stellar student but have lots of ducats at your disposal, Pepperdine is your school, but I was still surprised to see what looked like characters straight of out of Superbad or Knocked Up roaming the aisles.

No comments: