Monday, October 1, 2007

Radiohead: Pay what you want

The interwebs have been a-buzz about Radiohead's latest experiment: you can download their new LP on October 10 and it's up to you to decide how much you want to pay for it. In Rainbows is the first LP they will have released on their own, with no record label involvement.

It's great to see more artists (including those I love, like Radiohead) try new ways to distribute music in these modern times. Who knows what will work, but I'm glad they are resisting the criticism by the retailers or other purveyors of the old system (just like Steven Soderbergh did when he released Bubble on DVD on the same day it opened in theaters).

Don't get me wrong, I loves me a great record store or a great movie theater, but I also recognize that something has to give when it comes to copyright in the digital universe.

No comments: