Saturday, July 14, 2007

Happy Hour Friday (12): Ahem, it's a bit late

Sorry for the delay!

This installment is a bit of a work in progress, as I'm still learning how best to undermine the benefits of pomegranate juice by combining it with booze.

One thing I learned: you need sugar in your pomegranate-based cocktails!

I don't think I've tried pomegranate juice before yesterday, even though I've often fancied those Pom bottles at the grocery store. I didn't use Pom in my drink yesterday, instead I used Knudsen's Just Pomegranate.

You can sweeten up unsweetened pomegranate juice in one of three ways:
1) add triple sec - which increases the alcohol content of the drink;
2) add simple syrup - which adds sweetness without more booze; or
3) add superfine sugar to your pomegranate juice before mixing your cocktail. (The amount of sugar you add depends on your preference for sweetness. It's important to use superfine instead of regular sugar because superfine sugar will dissolve easily in cold/room-temperature liquids.)

Here's what I'm going to try later today:

Gin & Pom
Combine 1.5 cups of unsweetened pomegranate juice with 0.5 cups of superfine sugar (adjust for your desired sweetness) and set aside.
Fill a shaker 3/4 full with ice.
Add two shots of Bombay Sapphire Gin over the ice.
Squeeze one lemon over the gin.
Add your pomegranate/sugar mixture.
Shake enthusiastically.
Split mixture into two sugar-rimmed martini glasses. Garnish with lemon peel (if feeling fancy) or a small lemon wedge.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lise Johnston said...

Sounds like a good drink for a hot day.

Mark Watson said...

You do realize that once you are an attorney all of your Happy Hour Friday postings will consist of:
1) open decanter
2) fill glass with Brandy or Scotch
3) consume

Bexy said...

I have one small edit, Mark:

2) fill snifter with Brandy or Scotch

...As long as the steps are not these:
1) Open bottle of Jim Beam
2) Open mouth
3) Pour down pie-hole