Sunday, July 15, 2007

Happy Hour Friday (12) - update!

As I mentioned, Happy Hour Friday 12 was sort of a work in progress...

So yesterday afternoon, I mixed up another batch of Gin & Poms for me and PR (my dad). After realizing I didn't have superfine sugar to work with, I decided to make some pomegranate syrup. I combined equal parts regular sugar and unsweetened pomegranate juice over a sauce pan, brought it to a boil, then turned down the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring all the while. The syrup came out yummy!

After it cooled, I used one part syrup to two parts gin, added juice from 1/2 lime (it was an especially juicy lime), shook it and poured it into a sugar-rimmed glass, and it was really yummy and strong.

I have to say, pomegranate juice has a unique flavor. It's very earthy, and pairing it with the floral Sapphire makes for an interesting flavor. I'm not sure it would always be my first choice, but I'm glad I gave it a whirl!

By the way, last night I headed down to Malibu (the 'Bu) to Duke's for dinner. Now themed restaurants are not my thing but the restaurant is right on the water. My dinner was really yummy (parmesean and herb crusted Mahi Mahi) and the really strong mai-tai helped with any family-related drama that reared its ugly head. We even saw dolphins swim past!

A seagull hoping for some food.


The view from our table.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very interesting!
I have a blog of t-shirts!
Please, send me the photo of a your t-shirt and the link of your blog,
I' ll publish in my blog!
Thanks Ivo
EMAIL:
ivo.giulivo@gmail.com