Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Hour Friday (7)

In honor of my trip to the races today, I thought I would offer up a Mint Julep recipe!

The key to this drink is the right amount of sugar and the right amount of mint. You can muddle the mint as you would with a mojito, but I think making mint-infused simple syrup ahead of time is easier, especially if you want to make a pitcher of these suckers.

At least a couple hours ahead, you should make some mint-infused simple syrup. Start by heating up equal amounts of sugar and water on your stovetop until the sugar is fully dissolved. Then, take the mixture off the heat and add one bunch of mint to the mixture. Let the mint steep for fifteen minutes, then strain the liquid into a container you can put in the fridge.

Once cold, your drink is ready to assemble!

Mint Julep
Fill a glass with ice (crushed if you have it)
Add 2 parts bourbon
Add 1 part mint-infused simple syrup
Add more ice (unless the glass already full)
Stir the drink well.
Garnish with a sprig of mint.

This is surprisingly good. For a twist you could add some fresh lime (lime and whiskey is better together than you might think!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I read this post and saw the following photo on the same day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abchao/484705350/in/photostream/

Perhaps I must avail myself of some julep.

Bexy said...

Lovely!

Yeah, this drink is good. Amanda and Matt made it for a party many moons ago and I was surprised that I liked it (didn't think I was a bourbon girl).

Amber said...

Oh honey, none of us ever think we are bourbon girls. We are, almost always, wrong.

Bexy said...

Hilarious! You are killing me Amby.