Wednesday, May 23, 2007

On the Lot

I watched the series premiere of On the Lot last night, and I'll admit, I got drawn into it. I hope that future episodes will focus more on what these contestants create, rather than the drama and ridiculousness that ensues in order to make their films. I mean, c'mon now: people who can keep their cool make for good reality show contestants, but not necessarily great filmmakers.

Anyway, 50 contestants were picked from 12,000 applications (astounding). You can view their submitted films at the official website. In the first episode, you saw this group whiddle down further to (I think) 30 or so, when they had to pitch a film idea to a three-person audience comprised of Brett Ratner (who had a cameo in this week's episode of Entourage - how viral marketing of them), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia!) and Garry Marshall). A final group of 18 will officially compete (if I'm understanding the show so far) and I want to see their films (as I'm sure people who tune in do too).

The show's a bit stressful, as filmmaking can be. The contestants were asked to form groups of three and produce a short film in 24 hours. Already, you can see the ugliness and stress coming out. But, I'll give this show another chance. I'd really like to see the films they come up with, rather than watch them fight on set or give "confessional asides" away from the others.

We'll see. I'm hopeful this will turn a corner. Cinematical is running a weekly review of the show, if you are so inclined.

No comments: